The second exchange lesson with Senga artist Ms. Mayano. Western calligrapher Jeannette and I cut a paper into leaf shape, and colored it with watercolors. After that we cut my own signature called rakkan seal.
Rakkan means the handwritten signature, or our own signature seal, to be added to the edge of artworks. I have many kinds of rakkan seals carved in kanji, hiranaga, or alphabet. I always write my signature using a brush, and choose a rakkan seal that matches for each work, and stamp. For that reason, I have cut my own rakkan seal for the first time.
Ms. Mayano had put a series of cut rakkan randomly on a postcard colored with watercolors. Her idea is very unique! Rakkan has been a supporting role for me until now. But, thanks to her, rakkan itself seems to be a main role of the artwork. Learning by different artists is very fresh experience.
剪画アーティスト小野寺先生との交換レッスン2回目。
カットした葉に水彩絵具での色付けした後、
自作の落款デザインをカットしました。
実は落款をカットするのは初めてです。
これまで落款は私にとってはあくまで脇役で
筆で書く、または赤や金の印泥をつけて押す、という経験しかありません。
小野寺先生が水彩で色づけたハガキにランダムに落款を並べたアイデアはとてもユニークで、落款がまるで主役のようでした。
異なるアーティストの方のアイデアに触れるのはとても新鮮です。
#exchange_lesson #japan_culture #cutting_paper

